- Limited Company Tax ListThe key taxes you will encounter in business.
- Corporation TaxHow it applies to limited company profits.
- National InsuranceHow Class 1 NICs apply to salaries.
- PAYE / PayrollHow directors and employees are paid.
- Employment AllowanceValuable incentive if you have employees.
- Value Added TaxShould your company be registered? How VAT works.
- DividendsWhat are they, and how are they taxed?
- Dividend AllowanceWhat does this £2,000 nil rate band mean?
- IR35One tax you need to avoid if you provide personal services.
- Limited, Sole Trader, Partnership or LLP?The main business structures.
- Set up a CompanyThe key steps in the incorporation process.
- Articles / Memorandum of AssociationWhat these documents do.
- Company NamingYour name must abide by various rules and conventions.
- Type of Limited CompanyNot all are private limited companies.
- Registered Office AddressEvery limited company must have one.
- Certificate of Incorporation?When is it, and what information does it contain?
- Limited Company AdvantagesHow being limited compares to other structures.
- Share CapitalHow different types of shares can be issued.
- Limited LiabilityWhat does this term mean in practice for directors?
- Company DirectorsWho can become a company director?
- Limited vs Self EmployedWe compare the key features of each structure.
- Limited Company Expenses ListThe main allowable expenses.
- Capital AllowancesHow to offset capital costs against tax.
- Company Car TaxBuy a car, or use your own and reclaim costs?
- Pre-Formation CostsFrom before you started the business.
- Telephony ExpensesTax treatment of phones and broadband.
- Health ExpensesMedical costs, gym, annual check, insurance.
- Computer CostsHardware and software expenses.
- SubscriptionsMemberships to professional organisations.
- Charitable ExpensesGiving to charity and sponsorship-type costs.
- 24 Month Travel RuleImportant info if you’re a professional contractor.
- Professional Indemnity InsuranceIn case you make a mistake whilst providing professional advice.
- Private Health InsuranceCovers medical treatment if you fall ill.
- Employers’ Liability InsuranceIf you have employees it is compulsory.
- Relevant Life CoverLife cover, paid for by your limited company.
- Public Liability InsuranceEssential if you interact with customers or clients.
- Tax Investigation InsuranceCovers professional representation in the event of an HMRC compliance visit.
What is the dividend allowance?
In April 2016, a new ‘dividend allowance’ was created – a nil-rate tax band on the first £5,000 of dividend income. This allowance threshold was short-lived, however, and was cut to £2,000 from April 2018.